How do I install the driver for the Lattice Semiconductor USB cable under Windows Vista?
Directions for installing the USB driver on Windows Vista are located in the ispvmsystem readme.txt file. The instructions are duplicated here for quick reference.
For Windows Vista operating system, you must first turn off the User Account Control (UAC) before installing the driver. To turn off the User Account Control (UAC):
- Open the Control Panel.
- Select User Accounts.
- Select User Accounts.
- Select Turn User Account Control on or off.
- In the "Turn on User Account Control (UAC) to make your computer more secure" dialog, deselect "Use User Account Control (UAC) to help protect your computer."
- Click the Ok button.
- Reboot your PC.
After installing the driver and rebooting your PC, you may reset the UAC if desired, and reboot your PC.
To install the USB cable driver after the ispVM System is installed:
ispTools->Install/Uninstall LSC USB/Parallel Port Driver
You can plug the ispDOWNLOAD USB cable into the PC when the PC is turned off or when it is on. Make sure that the ispVM System software is closed before plugging the cable into your PC or unplugging it from your PC and that the USB driver is already installed.
To plug the cable into the PC:
- Make sure that the ispVM System is closed, and then plug the cable into your PC.
- If your PC is turned on, wait about one minute for the Windows operating system to recognize the USB cable. The amount of time will vary, depending on your PC's speed.
NOTE: Be sure to turn off the target board's power before connecting or disconnecting the USB cable to the target board.
Use the ispVM cable auto detection to determine which cable and port you are using.
To access Auto Detect:
- Choose Options->Cable and I/O Port Setup.
- In the dialog box, click Auto Detect.
If both a parallel port and a USB cable are connected to your PC, the ispVM System software will select the USB cable. To select the parallel port cable, manually select the Lattice cable from the Cable Type drop-down list.
If more than one USB cable is connected to your PC, the ispVM System software will detect all available cables, but it will select the first cable it detects. To select a different USB cable, select the USB cable from the Port Setting drop-down list.
If ispVM does not recognize the USB cable even after installing the LSC USB Port Driver and rebooting, view the Device Manager to see if the PC correctly recognizes the ispDOWNLOAD USB Port Cable. To do this:
- Choose Start, Settings, Control Panel, and System.
- In the System Properties dialog box, click the Hardware tab and Device Manager button.
- Under on Universal Serial Bus controllers, you should see Lattice USB ISP Programmer. If not, if you see Unknown USB instead, do the following:
- Right click on Unknown USB and select Properties.
- Click on the Driver tab and click on the Update Driver button.
- Follow the steps to update the driver.
On Windows XP, if you get the following message while updating the driver:
"The software you are installing for this hardware: Tri-L USB ISP Programmer USBISP has not passed Windows Logo testing to verify its compatibility with Windows XP."
Select "Continue Anyway".